Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Post from our Mother, Parker's Nana

Wow! Just one week and Parker’s Pride has already raised $550 for Children’s Hospital and Pastoral Care. Thank you, everyone!

This is Parker’s Nana. I am 55 years old and anyone who knows me, knows I am not an athlete or a fitness freak. I prefer cooking, eating, reading and painting to more active pursuits. But when Bryan and Matt put together Parker’s Pride, I signed on right away. I can’t run the St. Jude’s, but I can walk. I can’t finish a marathon, but I can finish a 5 or 10 K. I will do it for our precious Parker, for my sons Bryan and Matt, and for Children’s Hospital and their Pastoral Care Department.
Pastoral Care stayed close beside us during Parker’s three days in intensive care at Children’s. They listened to us, wept with us, comforted us. When Bryan mentioned that he wished there was music for Parker, a CD player and sweet children’s CD’s appeared in his crib. When Bryan mentioned baptism, a christening in ICU was arranged. When he asked about organ donation, they helped us understand what needed to be done. While the doctor gave us the terrible news that Parker was gone, they held our hands and prayed with us.

These wonderful ministers are on staff at Children’s 24-hours a day, 7 days a week to help families (many from out of town) cope with their children’s illnesses and injuries. We want to make sure the support and comfort of Pastoral Care at Children’s Hospital will be there for all families who arrive at Children’s Hospital with their little ones. We know they will need it.

So, I am walking about 40 minutes a day, 5 days a week right now to get ready for the St. Jude’s. When I am tempted to sit down in front of the tv, I think about Parker and I put on my walking shoes. When that little voice in my head says 30 minutes walking is good enough, I think about the families who are sitting outside of ICU at Children’s and I keep going. The good news is I am enjoying walking and feeling stronger every day. I hope you’ll follow the journey of Parker’s Pride. I hope you can donate to Children’s Hospital and Pastoral Care.

No comments:

Post a Comment